Spring ready dress

It’s finished! See below for the result!

I swear I tried to find a place where the pictures wouldn’t be really bad, but that’s virtually impossible in this appartment!

 

 

The print is a bit much, but I like that it’s different! Maybe I’m a bit pale for the beige background color. But hey, let’s hope the summer and some sunshine can fix that.

I simply love the pockets (I like putting my hands in my pockets) and the U-shaped cut out of the neckline. That’s what attracted me in the pattern in the first place. Amazingly enough I pulled it off very well! I’m also digging the cap sleeves. At least they hide my arm fat a little! 😮

 

 

The dress is made with the Washi Dress pattern by Made by Rae. But I did make some adjustments.

I lengthened the bodice a bit, because it originally ended up just below the bust and that did not flatter my feminine shapes at all. I also added an underbust dart for a more fitted look and to make it look less like maternity wear, which I thought it resembled at first.

It fits me well, but perhaps a bit too well. Next time I think I’ll choose a size in between M and L and a bit less shirring in the back (oh yes, there’s shirring in the back, no zipperwork needed!).

I lined the entire dress, as opposed to working with facing, as suggested in the instructions. I like a bit more security and the fabric was a little on the sheer side… But I used simple cotton from Ikea for the lining! Cheap and the color fitted the outer fabric well!

I’m definitely making this dress again, perhaps without the U-cut out and a calmer print next time. But all in all, I think I didn’t do too bad for my first dress ever!

I have a great bordeaux belt lying around that would work well with the dress but I forgot to wear it in the pictures.

I'd love to hear from you!